Orthodontics is a specialized dentistry that solves problems with the arrangement of teeth and malocclusion with braces. The orthodontic device will move the tooth to its correct position that is suitable for the face, resulting in a beautiful set of teeth, improved personal appearance, as well as good dental health. It is important to note that Orthodontic procedure should be performed only by a dentist specializing in orthodontics to get the most effective treatment results.
Orthodontics has many advantages in correcting teeth occlusion and irregular teeth alignment, such as:
In case of problems
- Teeth crowding
- Teeth spacing
- Or having malocclusion.
If these problems mentioned above are not corrected, these will have a negative effect in the future, such as in the case of malocclusion. If left untreated for a long time, it may even affect the jaw joints. If it will not be treated at all, it will cause pain, it will affect the chewing of food as well as proper speech. In other words, it will affect everyday life.
The time it takes to do orthodontic treatment usually takes about 1 and a half to 3 years, but some people may require only a shorter period. While other takes longer, depending on the severity of the case. During orthodontic treatment Dentists appoint patients every 1 month to adjust the equipment and periodically check the result and after the treatment is finished the patient must wear retainers at all times for a certain period in order to maintain the position of each tooth and preventing it from moving back to the position prior to orthodontic treatment.
1. The dentist will make impression of patient’s teeth to create a dental model to use in the treatment plan
2. The dentist will inspect the teeth and see the teeth as well as check the structure of the face and jaw.
3. Take dental x-ray. To see the structure of the face and jaw
4. The dentist will perform general dental checkups in order to treat existing problems of teeth first, for example, patient may need tooth extraction, tooth filling, root canal treatment, or treat gum disease, etc. This procedure needs to be treated before wearing braces. This step is important because if these problems are not treated before putting the braces on, it will be more difficult to perform these treatments, and it will be necessary to remove the braces to do these treatments. This will also cause the orthodontic treatment to take longer to complete.
5. The dentist will explain the advantages, disadvantages, and practices before getting braces and after treatment is completed. This includes treatment cost and installment payment plan.
6. After installing the braces, the patient must be aware that there may be some pain in the beginning, but these symptoms will gradually disappear as the teeth become used to the braces, which could take 1-2 weeks, depending on the individual case.
Recommendations during orthodontics
During braces patient should keep the teeth and braces clean using toothbrush and floss specifically designed for patients, because teeth with braces will be more difficult to clean that before to remove food scraps that could easily be trapped in between braces. In addition, patients should refrain from eating hard and sticky food as well as eating sugary foods, including various snacks that easily causes tooth decay.
Types of Braces
– Conventional Metal braces
– Damon braces
Conventional metal braces Is the most popular type of orthodontic treatment, especially among teenagers and working class because the price is not expensive and patients can play around changing the color of rubber bands every month makes it appealing.
Damon orthodontics is a new dimension in orthodontics. The braces are designed to have a mechanism that inter-locks the wire. There is no need to use force from rubber pulling like conventional metal braces. The force of pulling the teeth will be more consistent and it also has many advantages such as reducing the time needed for orthodontic treatment and also does not require monthly visits to the dentist, only once every 2 months.
Invisalign orthodontics is a new form of orthodontics. For those who want to fix tooth problems, sticking teeth apart but don’t want to put braces. Invisalign braces are clear, similar to rubber teeth that are used for teeth whitening at home. The braces are not noticeable to others. It is important to know that when eating, patients should take off and store the appliance, and after finish eating, then wear it again. It’s very convenient for those who don’t want anyone to know that they have braces.